Ginger Turmeric Chicken Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 stalks of celery diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound) cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5 cups of bone broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 head of kale de-stemmed and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Once the butter is melted, add the chicken. Cook for 3-5 minutes per side until browned, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and celery to the pot and cook for 5-7 minutes, until both are browned, and the onion is translucent, then add the garlic and ginger and sauté for about 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Return the chicken to the pot along with the sweet potatoes, then stir in the bone broth, thyme, salt, pepper, and turmeric.
- Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 30-40 minutes, until the chicken can be easily pulled apart with a fork.
- Pull the chicken from the pot and shred. Add the chicken back to the pot then stir in the coconut milk and kale. Cook for 2-3 minutes until kale is fully wilted.